How to Calculate Percentile in JEE – Find Out Here
If you’ve landed on this article, chances are that you’re going to take the JEE exam in the near future. Most people who take the JEE exam often get confused between percentage and percentile and how they differ. If you are one among them, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss what the JEE percentile is and how to calculate it.
Percentile vs. Percentage in JEE Exam
By percentile, we mean the score on the basis of the relative performance of candidates appearing for the JEE exam. It depicts the value that is equal to or less than the specific proportion.
On the other hand, percentage depicts the numerical value for every 100. In other words, the calculation in percentage is done on the basis of 10o.
The percentage is different from the percentile, and so is the calculation process. Let us look into the metrics required to calculate the JEE percentile
- NTA calculates the percentile score by converting the marks secured on a scale from 100 to 0.
- You should keep in mind the percentile score is the normalised score and not the raw score.
- NTA uses the percentile score to make the merit list of the students.
- The percentile score is upto 7 decimal places to avoid any tie-break between 2 students.
Let us now look at how to calculate the percentile in the JEE exam.
100 x by the total number of students appearing in JEE exam with a raw score of equal to or less than the candidate with the highest raw score
Total number of candidates appearing for the JEE exam
Let us understand this with the help of an example.
- Suppose the highest raw score obtained by a student is 330.
- The total number of students appearing in the JEE exam with a raw score of equal to or less than the candidate with the highest raw score is 28,000.
- The total number of students appearing for the exam is 28,500.
- The percentile score for JEE exam is as follows – 100 x 28000/28500 = 98.2456140
Your Way Forward
You know everything about the difference between percentile and percentage and how to calculate percentile in the JEE exam. Getting a good rank in JEE mains and advanced is essential to get into the prestigious IIT and IIIT. So, if you have attempted the JEE exam and are looking for guidance on how to move forward, look no further.
At Sri Chaitanya, we provide our students with just the right kind of facilities to enable them to perform to the best of their abilities. Through regular performance analysis and mock tests, we help them identify their strengths and weaknesses, giving them an opportunity to refine their knowledge before the big day.
For more information, get in touch with us today!